Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Introducing "Dear Coach: Letters Home from WWII"

Welcome to the "Dear Coach: Letters Home from WWII" blog. Throughout the next few months you will be able to follow author Lois Herr and her book "Dear Coach: Letters Home from WWII" as they go on a virtual book tour all around the World Wide Web. One day we may be in our hometown state of Pennsylvania, the next California. When it comes to virtual travel, the options are endless.

Now, I have the great pleasure of introducing you to Lois Herr. Lois is an aspiring politician, published author of two books (Women, Power and AT&T: Winning Rights in the Workplace and now of course Dear Coach), and all around super woman. It's been a privilege to work with such a role model.

For those wondering who I am and what role I play, my name is Dena Schaffer and my company Opening Windows is managing Lois' virtual book tour. Having helped Lois with the production of the book during my days at Elizabethtown College it's been an excellent opportunity coming back to team up with her as she sees it through to completion and now introduces it to the world.

Enough about the people involved though - let's get to the good stuff! Here's what you have to know about this incredibly touching and humanistic book. “Dear Coach” is the story of Elizabethtown College’s, legendary coach Ira Herr (Lois' father), and the men and women athletes of 1937-1946.

More than just a collection of letters "Dear Coach" is the scrapbook of an extended family dealing with a war that forced a generation to grow up overnight. For some it will bring back memories of college days and wartime. For others it will be a special view into what the world was like as our country turned from depression to war. The letters and relationships are personal between coach and player and between college friends, but I’m sure you’ll find the stories are universal.

Far removed from both athletics and the history surrounding WWII, I found myself drawn to this book as a senior in college. The truth is, I could relate to these men and women. To me, they were a lot like my friends and I, still kids finding their way into an adult world. I'd be willing to bet that most of us can relate to that sentiment at one point or another in our lives. That's what makes "Dear Coach" such a phenomenal book in my eyes. It has an ability to reach through the decades and still touch our hearts and minds today on such a personal level.

To learn more... stay tuned.

Also, keep in touch with Lois @DearCoach on Twitter! She'd be happy to hear from you!

For more information on what a virtual book tour or to host a stop I can be reached @VBTOpningWndws on Twitter as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment